- Don’t leave children alone with matches, lighters or candles.
Consider buying child resistant matchboxes or lighters.
- Make sure you put candles in a secure proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.
- Put candles out when you leave a room and use a snuffer or a spoon – this is safer then blowing them out which can cause sparks to fly.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Use a proper ashtray – never a waste paper basket.
- Make sure your ashtray cannot tip over and that it will not burn. Don’t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around.
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully.
- Don’t put ashtrays on sofas or chairs.
- Take extra care if you smoke when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking. You might fall asleep and set your bed or sofa on fire.